Cerebral Palsy & Birth Injury Lawyer in New York
Cerebral palsy and other birth injuries can result from complications during prenatal care, labor, delivery, or newborn care. The most serious injuries can be caused by oxygen deprivation to the infant's brain. The failure to perform a cesarean section, abuse of Pitocin, misuse of forceps or vacuum during delivery, or miscalculation of the size of the baby can all contribute to serious brain injuries of the baby. Sadly, most of these problems can be prevented, since most birth injuries are caused by a doctor failing to timely address problems during labor and delivery.
The attorneys at Gair, Gair, Conason, Rubinowitz, Bloom, Hershenhorn, Steigman & Mackauf have more than 90 years of experience representing patients who have been injured or have died as the result of medical malpractice involving birth injuries. We have helped our clients successfully recover monetary damages for a litany of birth injuries including claims involving:
- spinal cord injuries
- Erb's palsy
- broken limbs
- cerebral palsy
- nerve damage
Our team of attorneys includes a board-certified physician and a professional registered nurse who can assist in reviewing your case and can help you to understand the full medical scope of the injury. Our firm conducts exhaustive investigations, and we retain the most qualified experts to bring a comprehensive level of expertise to surpass that on the other side.
If necessary, we also retain expert accountants and financial analysts because many birth injury cases have their own set of associated losses including lost wages, the cost of care and many other monetary costs. In order to accurately assess what these costs will be for the remainder of a victim’s life, we use financial professionals to derive fair resolutions for injury victims.
- "Birth Control and Malpractice," Trial Lawyers Quarterly 10:86, 1974.
- "New York Law on Wrongful Birth Cases," New York Law Journal, November 9, 1978.
- "Responding to Defenses in Erb's Palsy Cases," Trial, 1998.
- Trial of an Obstetrical Malpractice Case, Law Journal Seminars-Press, 1990, 1993, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999 and 2001.
- Obstetrical-Neonatal Malpractice and Brain Damage, Law Journal Seminars-Press, 1984, 1985, and 1986.
- Failure to Diagnose Fetal Distress, Law Journal Seminars-Press, 1991, 1992, 1994, 1995, 1997, 1998, 1999 and 2001.
- "Failure to Diagnose Fetal Distress," Trial, September 1999.
- Medical Malpractice: Trial of an Obstetrical and Neonatal Malpractice Case, Law Journal Seminars-Press, 1989-1990.
- Trial of an Obstetrical Malpractice Case, Law Journal Seminars-Press, 1990 to 2001.
CASES OF NOTE
The firm's birth injury attorneys have achieved numerous verdicts and settlements that are among the largest in the country. Some of the more notable results include:
- $103,000,000 verdict (one of the largest ever) in a Broome County medical malpractice case on behalf of a baby brain damaged at birth.
- $90,939,857 jury verdict for a child whose cerebral palsy was due to the failure of an obstetrician to diagnose placental abruption and who thus delayed the cesarean section that was necessary to rescue the baby who was suffering from a lack of oxygen.
- $8,500,000 in an Erie County medical malpractice case in which a baby suffered brain damage as a result of negligent obstetrical care rendered by doctors and hospital personnel in failing to timely recognize signs of fetal distress.
- $8,000,000 settlement in a Nassau County medical malpractice case for a child rendered brain damage with cerebral palsy as a result of negligent obstetrical care rendered to the baby’s mother.
- $7,000,000 settlement in a medical malpractice case for a baby born with brain damage in Queens.
- $6,000,000 settlement in a medical malpractice case for a baby born with brain damage in Onondaga County.
- $5,750,000 settlement in a Kings County for a child rendered brain damage as a result of medical malpractice in the obstetrical care rendered to the baby’s mother.
- $5,400,000 settlement in a Monroe County case for a child rendered brain damage as a result of medical malpractice in the obstetrical care rendered to the baby’s mother.
- $5,000,000 settlement in a medical malpractice case for a baby born with brain damage in Otsego County.
- $4,750,000 settlement in a medical malpractice case for a baby born with brain damage in Queens.
Disclaimer: Please be advised that the results achieved in any given case depend upon the exact facts and circumstances of that case. Gair, Gair, Conason, Rubinowitz, Bloom, Hershenhorn, Steigman & Mackauf cannot guarantee a specific result in any legal matter. Any testimonial or case result listed on this site is based on an actual legal case and represents the results achieved in that particular case, and does not constitute a guarantee, warranty or prediction of the outcome of any other legal matter.