False Arrests

Each year, thousands of innocent people are arrested for crimes they did not commit. One way in which someone falsely arrested may seek justice is by bringing a claim of false arrest in civil court against the police officers who made the arrest. In order to establish a claim for false arrest a person must establish that (1) the police officers intended to arrest them; (2) the person was conscious of the arrest; (3) they did not consent to the arrest and (4) that the arrest was not otherwise privileged. An arrest may be privileged if the person is either guilty or the police officer had “Probable Cause” to make the arrest. Probable cause for an arrest exists if a reasonable police officer would have believed that a person had committed or was committing an offense.

When an arrest is made in New York City there are several documents which are generated by the arresting officer. These documents include an Arrest Report, UF-61 Complaint report, a Criminal Complaint, Property Vouchers and often a Stop and Frisk Report. In addition, the arresting officer is required to document the arrest in his or her memo book. In order to successfully litigate a false arrest claim, it is critical to have an attorney who understands these documents and knows how to interpret them. As a result of litigating false arrest claims for decades the attorneys at Gair, Gair, Conason, Rubinowitz, Bloom, Hershenhorn, Steigman & Mackauf have a thorough understanding of how to use the police’s own documents to support a claim of false arrest.

It is important to contact an attorney as soon as possible after the false arrest has occurred. Many municipalities, such as the City of New York, require that a “Notice of Claim” be given to the municipality after a claimed false arrest occurs. Typically a Notice of Claim must be provided to the municipality within ninety days from when the false arrest occurred. The Notice of Claim provides basic information to the municipality, including the date and time of the false arrest, as well as the circumstances surrounding it. If a Notice of Claim is not timely filed, it is possible that the person may be barred from bringing certain claims related to the false arrest against the municipality.

If you or a family member has been arrested for a crime they did not commit, it may be possible to bring a claim against the arresting police officers for false arrest. Please contact the attorneys at Gair, Gair, Conason, Rubinowitz, Bloom, Hershenhorn, Steigman & Mackauf and speak with our civil rights attorneys today.

Client Reviews
"Very compassionate, very efficient and top rate! If you want a team of good lawyers that will not only work hard to win your case but knows how to listen and feel for you as a victim of medical malpractice, this firm is your only choice." [Extract] D.F.
"Everyone I communicated with at this firm made me feel like I was part of their family. My needs, feelings, and concerns were carefully considered and given the needed attention. My counselors were available whenever I needed them and became my personal friends. They came highly recommended and lived up to their reputation. I would recommend them to any of my friends without hesitation. This firm gives attorneys a "good name". Clients matter here. They made me feel like I mattered as a person, that I was valued, and not just a possible source of income for the firm. They earned their fees, and you will find that they will also earn your trust." N.W.
"My husband was in a coma with very little chances to survive, due to a car accident. The compassion and professionalism that they showed myself and my family during such a difficult time combined with an incredible willingness to get the best results for us have shown us that we had made the absolute best choice. They not only fought extremely hard for what proved to be a very difficult case, but they also emotionally helped us through this incredible ordeal and have been a caring advocate for our family and our case. They got us the best results we could have expected given the circumstances and didn't give up when things got more challenging." [Extract] V.P.
"August 2020, my mother was in a horrific car accident. I contacted Gair Gair Conason to handle my mother's case. Everyone at the firm who helped us with the case did such a fantastic job with being so efficient. We could not have been more satisfied with the services we received." [Extract] K.C.